Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Twice Baked...Avocados?

I went to the library yesterday and checked out a cookbook on cold foods. The book is Best of Cold Foods published by HPBooks. There's a recipe in this cookbook called Avocado-Crabmeat Cocktail. It is an appetizer made by scooping out the flesh of the avocado and mixing it with crabmeat, mushrooms, lemon juice, sour cream, horseradish and a few seasonings and herbs, including fresh dill from my garden. It is served chilled in an avocado shell much like a twice baked potato, but with the obvious substitution. I liked it best on crackers. I give it 5 stars. It was delicious! I also recommend trying this in different ways, such as on bread, chips, pita or crostini. If this tastes or even looks good to you, great! If not, no need to worry. Not everyone likes avocado. But it's worth trying, because avocado is a brain food. 

4 comments:

  1. You have stolen my heart with this one Rylan! I am drooling. Going to try it this week. Thank you for the fresh inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony Horton calls avocado "God's Butter." I love it mushed up and spread on toast like butter or on a sandwich instead of mayo. Can't wait to try this new dish. Grandpa Joe will probably love it too. xoxoxo mimi and vavoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so great...make me some...I'm no chef!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what you need, Rylan, more brain food. It sure sounds and looks delicious. You'll have to make some for me.

    ReplyDelete